ABOUT THIS CHARITIY
Ohio Valley United Charities, Inc., is an IRS 501-c-3 non-profit organization, that raises money to fund non-profit entities that provide services to residents of Carroll, Gallatin, Henry, Owen and Trimble counties. Originally formed in 1998 as a United Way, in 2005 the group changed to its current name. “We had issues with both the direction and funding requirements of the national and state United Ways,” explained Ruth H. Baxter, co-founder. “Rather than separate our counties into other United Ways in Southern Indiana, Northern Kentucky and Louisville because we were too small for their requirements, we decided to stay local and use our efforts for the charities that operate in these five (5) counties.”
A twelve (12) member Board of Directors is elected annually to review and approve applications for funding, and to audit grant applications. Officers are voted upon by the Board of Directors. In addition to a President, Secretary and Treasurer, there are two (2) vice-presidents, one for Agency Funding which oversees the grant selection process, and one for Fund-raising which coordinates the campaign to raise funds sufficient to pay the grants awarded. All directors are volunteers and there are no paid staff members. All donations made to United Charities are used for the charities and do not pay any operational expenses. Annual expenses for publications, postage and advertising run approximately $3,000.00 and are paid through golf tournament proceeds.
Each year Ohio Valley United Charities accepts applications for funding projects and/or programs within its five (5) county service area. In 2020, over $165,000.00 will be given to thirty-four (34) separate organizations. Applications for funding are due in late May of each year, with fund-raising to begin in August. Nonprofit organizations that are awarded funds receive notice in September of approval of their grant requests, and funds are typically paid in December of each year for the forthcoming year.
Funds are solicited from area industries, businesses and individuals each fall. Even in 2020, with Covid restrictions on our fundraising efforts, we saw fund-raising from our partner Corporations at good levels, with over $100,000 pledged. Each March those companies that have raised the most funds are recognized at the United Charities’ “Breakfast of Champions”. 2019 Award recipients included: Gold Award went to DOW Chemical Carrollton Plant - Silver Award went to KU-LGE Ghent & Bedford Power Plants & our Bronze Award was given to Nucor Steel, Carrollton Plant. United Charities kicks off its fundraising efforts by hosting a golf tournament that provides funds necessary for the group’s annual expenses, and provides monies for special projects such as the area “Back Pack” initiative. In 2019, the tournament raised approximately $12,000.00.
Charities funded by Ohio Valley United Charities, Inc., must meet the following requirements:
* Provide services or programs to Carroll, Gallatin, Henry, Owen and/or Trimble counties, Kentucky
* Have an approved IRS 501-c-3 Determination Letter in the charity’s name
* Utilize an EIN number in the name of the approved 501-c-3 status
* File a report by December 31st of each year detailing your use of the funds; the level of success for the program; the number of persons who benefitted from the project; and whether the project/program would have been possible without funding
* Include United Charities in the recipient’s publications and promotional materials to acknowledge the project/program was made possible through funding from United Charities
* Furnish two (2) volunteers from the charity if requested to help with United Charities’ Fund-raising efforts
* Complete the project as proposed.